Pavlova, fig compote with balsamic, fresh fruits
You can download the recipe (PDF) for free HERE.
The pavlova is a classic pastry really popular nowadays. You have to know how to do it.
Traditionally, a pavlova is made up of cooked meringue, whipped cream and fruits. The kitten’s version offers you today is perfect for the end of the year: a beautiful Swiss meringue. A fig compote topped with balsamic vinegar covers the bottom of the dessert. Pears and other seasonal fruits are added to bring freshness to the dessert and the finish is a beautifully poached whipped cream.
Concerning the plating, it is up to you to let your imagination run wild: individual pavlova or to share. It is even possible to make a rectangular version to serve as a Christmas dessert.
As usual, the recipe is described to be made with a cooking processor (Cooking Chef, Thermomix,…) but can be made with a simple pastry processor or even by hand without any problem.
Pavlova, fig compote with balsamic and fresh fruits
Ingredients (for 6 people)
- 90g egg white
- 180g of sugar
- 500g figs
- 50g of honey
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 150g of cold whipped cream
- 50g of mascarpone
- 50g icing sugar
Straightening and finishing
- Seasonal fruits (here pears and plums) washed and cut at the last minute
Preparation (40min + 1h cooking time)
Meringue (can be prepared the day before):
- In the mixer bowl (or in a bowl in a water bath), mix the egg whites and sugar and start whisking at high speed until the temperature reaches 63°C.
- Once this temperature has been reached, switch off the heat source (or remove the bowl from the water bath) and continue whisking until it has cooled completely (about 25°C).
- Preheat the oven to 80°C.
- On a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, poach the meringue in the desired shape.
- Bake for 1h30 for a completely dry and crispy meringue.
Fig compote (can be prepared the day before):
- Wash and cut the figs into quarters.
- Place the fig wedges in a saucepan with the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling is reached, cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Let cool and set aside.
- Mix it until smooth.
Whipped cream (can be prepared the day before):
- In the mixer’s bowl or in a bowl, mix the whipped cream, mascarpone and icing sugar and whip until smooth. Keep in a cool place in a piping bag.
- In a serving dish, place a few points of whipped cream to hold the meringue and prevent it from slipping.
- Place the meringue and, in the piping bag, place a layer of fig compote with balsamic.
- Add a layer of whipped cream and finish with beautiful fruit wedges.
- Serve immediately.